(310) 912-2960

How to Apply for a Cannabis Event License?

Posted by Michelle Mabugat, Esq. | May 10, 2018 | 0 Comments

Step 1: Apply for and obtain a state cannabis event organizer license.

Step 2: Find a compliant location for your event.  At this time, licensed cannabis events can only take place at county fairs and DAA's within California.

Step 3: Obtain written local approval “to engage in onsite cannabis sales to, and onsite consumption by, persons 21 years of age or older at the event.”  

Step 4: Obtain a temporary cannabis event license from the Bureau by submitting an application to the Bureau at least 60 days before the first day of the event. Temporary events can last up to a maximum of four consecutive days.  You will be required to provide to the Bureau a list of all licensees providing on-site sales at the event.  

What are the fees?

CA Application Fee Schedule for Cannabis Event Organizers

License Type

Fee Per Application

Cannabis Event Organizer License


Temporary Cannabis Event License


CA Annual License Fee Schedule for Cannabis Event Organizers

License Type

Planned Operations (Number of Operations)

Fee Per License

Cannabis Event Organizer

1-10 events annually

$ 5,000

greater than 10 events annually

$ 10,000

o   Individuals can hold alcohol beverage licenses with the ABC and cannabis licenses with California's Bureau of Cannabis Control (BCC) simultaneously.

o   Cannabis and alcohol cannot be sold at the same location.

o   Cannabis cannot be consumed at restaurants and bars; it cannot be sold by the ABC licensee, nor can consumers bring their own.

  • Alcohol beverage products cannotbe infused or mixed with cannabis.

Advertising and sponsorships:

  • Payment to a cannabis event organizer may not be determined based on, or tied to, the sale of cannabis goods.
  • A cannabis event organizer can only work with licensed vendors.
  • All ads must comply with applicable advertising rules, including only allowing cannabis ads in outlets where at least 71.6 percent of the audience “is reasonably expected to be 21 years of age or older.”[1]

[1]B&P § 26151(b)

***This article has been updated since new regulations were published. Click here for updated article*** 

Disclaimer: This article has been prepared and published for informational purposes only and is not offered, nor should be construed, as legal advice. 

About the Author


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment